chalky ceiling in 50's built house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put this in the builder section because I would like to know about the ceiling as I have never had this problem in any other house I have lived in!

This weekend I stripped the hall/landing/stairs walls.
As I stripped the landing I found that the walls n ceiling had been painted at the same time in a colour I don't know!
So peeling the paper off then carried on to the ceiling so I assumed that the ceiling had been papered with lining paper.
It wasn't,it was only painted.
It was coming off in sheets and it was only paint!
Underneath all this was a very chalky looking ceiling,and it caused a lot of dust n mess as I brushed the 'chalkiness'.
I waited till the dust settled then painted it white.
The paint was rolling on and then rolling back off,same with the brush too!
Took twice as long as I'd planned,and the only way round it was to 'dab' the paint on in places where it had lifted off.

The reason for me saying all this is that I have a very small kitchen and I'm decorating in there next and the ceiling in there is half flaked off and bits hanging.
Underneath it looks like the same kind of ceiling-CHALKY!!
This paint isn't easily peelable like the landing was but will have to come off to paint.
Surely I will have the same roll on roll off effect as I did with the landing!

:?: Is there a product to 'cure' this?
I was thinking that if so then it would be easier to paint and the paint will stay on and in time will not start to flake!!!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like "ceilinite"........a whitewash/distemper :cry: I recon you`ll have to wash it off and then seal with Stabilising solution :?: Best ask on the decorating forum.....Remember my Dad talking about it, horrible stuff it was...but you`d have to be Derek Achora to ask him now :eek: ;)

Thanks for the reply,
Yes,I put it in the Decorating section just after the one I put on the Builders section (copy and paste is great!)
I got similar replies-and it's definately distemper!
I thought of it as some plaster substitute rather than a paint of days gone by.
I love to learn and I have certainly learnt something new!
I thought distemper was only some kind of dog illness!!

Sharon xx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back