Chance for a bargain for a keen DIYer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
What makes the difference between a 16th and 17th edition test kit? is it to do with the rcd tester instrument?

Sponsored Links
Why does a 17th tester still come supplied with red and black leads :?:

I think it is a standard - almost all test instrument leads are red and black for +ve and -ve.
The only difference as far as I know for tests in the 17th is the requirement to carry out phase rotation verification on 3 phase.

Though most 17ED testers lack phase rotation, even my beloved Megger 1552 though my previous awful piece of cack had that facility (Fluke 1653).

I say "DIYer" as I don't think that these are physically robust enough for sculling around in the back of a van, using on site etc.

Haha!! That is the same c**p meter as I have been issued with at work! :( I have asked for a new one (fluke or megger) as mine, although only re-calibrated about 2months ago gives completly random Zs readings (such as less than the r1+r2) and also gives megger readings of only about 100M even with no test leads plugged in...... :confused:

completly random Zs readings (such as less than the r1+r2)

That can happen if paralell paths are present on the installation. The IR reading is a bit of a worry though.

I have a lovely metrel MFT. :D

Are the metrels good, RF?

One of my collegues is seeing the operations manager at Metrel, she reckons she can get me some good prices :LOL:

I'm interested in an MFT, but also one of their network analysers.

Choosing a tester is like choosing a car.

People have their prefered brands, and opinions will differ.

I do really like metrel. I have an instaltest 61557
78e1a1a2d7.jpg

It's a really good tester. Easy to use, reliable, and doesn't do more than it needs to. I used to use a different model which was supplied by the last company I worked for, and this was good too.

Beware though. There is a new range of metrel testers out now. We have one at work, and it's absoloute garbage.

78e1a1a2d7.jpg

It's a really good tester. Easy to use, reliable, and doesn't do more than it needs to. I used to use a different model which was supplied by the last company I worked for, and this was good too.

Beware though. There is a new range of metrel testers out now. We have one at work, and it's absoloute garbage.

Thanks, he's said he will come in and do a few demos of the network tester to me, I might as well ask him to bring an MFT at the same time.

If I do end up taking the leap and buying one, at least I know they are only based around the corner from me.

I say "DIYer" as I don't think that these are physically robust enough for sculling around in the back of a van, using on site etc.

Haha!! That is the same c**p meter as I have been issued with at work! :( I have asked for a new one (fluke or megger) as mine, although only re-calibrated about 2months ago gives completly random Zs readings (such as less than the r1+r2) and also gives megger readings of only about 100M even with no test leads plugged in...... :confused:

The robin some cheapskate company issued me with did that. In fact, with the button held down, the reading was continually fluctuating between 29M and ^299. The guy in charge of our tools said it was fine though, so a row ensued as I enquired as to the probabilities of pockets of low-resistance air floating around town.

Like RF I've got a alphatek now, the eurotest AT, quite happy with it. Black and blue probes, just to confuse thing more. :LOL:

Had a Megger CM500 before that, they build good instruments, and are fine if you don't mind being told to throw a £1000 MFT in the bin and buy a new one should it go wrong.

78e1a1a2d7.jpg

hi rf got the same one everybody ques up to slag it off i think its dead on
does the job and so simple i can use it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back