Chances of planning permission on something like this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning an extension on the back of our house (green area pictured below). Don't have plans/permission yet, but next door had the same idea & theirs went through fine.

We have a brick built external building in our garden & don't know what the hell to do with it!!! We planned to turn it into an office/studio, but with it not being connected to the house, I know it won't get used in the winter months.

So, what are the chances of having a corridor built (red area pictured below) to connect the building to the house after we extend? The room would be utilised and we could have easy access whenever we choose. Would planning say no automatically to something like this, as it's unusual?

birdseyeview.jpg

Sponsored Links
So, what are the chances of having a corridor built

Ask your council, as members of this forum we dont give PP
if some one here says yes you can and the council say no you can't who you going to believe?

couldnt you just link the 2 with a "conservatory" style walk way, as I thought conservatorys were exempt from planning permission?

Conservatories are not exempt from PP

It looks like the outbuilding and another extension have used up any permitted development allowance, and so PP will be required.

There is no reason why PP would be refused for this type of single-storey extension

You will require Building Regulation approval for the extension, the connecting corridor, and the outbuilding conversion

There we are Breezer, how's that? ;)

Sponsored Links
So, what are the chances of having a corridor built

Ask your council, as members of this forum we dont give PP
if some one here says yes you can and the council say no you can't who you going to believe?

I'm obviously not looking for a concrete answer. I have no experience of planning departments, and just wondered if something like this was a big fat no-no! Someone on here may have come across a similar venture and may have previous experience!!!

Conservatories are not exempt from PP

It looks like the outbuilding and another extension have used up any permitted development allowance, and so PP will be required.

There is no reason why PP would be refused for this type of single-storey extension

You will require Building Regulation approval for the extension, the connecting corridor, and the outbuilding conversion

There we are Breezer, how's that? ;)

Thanks very much for your advice - much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back