Change from 3m extension to 5m (maisonette)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have planning and building reg approval for a 3m extension into my garden from the the livingroom

Since having builders in, they are telling me it would be ideal and worthwhile to make the existing kitchen at the front of the house into a bathroom and move the kitchen into the back of the garden, this means extending 5m rather then 3m.

When i speak with architect he says it not possible to extend 5m as council will not allow, is he telling me the truth? what is the process for me to change the length of the extension? and finally would i need to tell the planners/councils if i am moving the kitchen to the back, as the initial drawings just had power points, now i would need to take water and gas to the back.

Any input is appreciated.

Horun

Sponsored Links
Ask your architect to clarify as to what "the council will not allow" means.

Does he mean that you won't be able to build under the permitted development umbrella and that you may have to seek PP? Or is it the fact you are a maisonette (part of a larger development) and there are restrictions?

A bit more info' please.

You probably live in a maisonette (oh, it says 'masionette' in the title), so you won't have any PD rights. Your architect probably submitted a planning application for a 3m extension knowing that that would be the most that your Local Authority would allow. It would be interesting to know if your builders know of similar properties locally where 5m extensions have been allowed.

Last edited:
It's southwark council.
The architect was referring to permitted planning at first and then said due to light blockage to neighbours I wouldn't get the planning approved if I went for resubmission.

Can you tell me what the process is to go an extra 1.5 m? Do I need to go through whole process again?

Sponsored Links
You won't get it, so there's no process. I don't think your architect was referring to 'permitted development'. I think they were referring to the development permitted by the existing planning permission.

Do I need to go through whole process again?
Yes you do. Assuming your property is a flat you will need to apply for planning permission and it will take 8 weeks. Whether you get approval or not depends what you want to do and how it relates to neighbouring properties.

The architect was referring to permitted planning at first and then said due to light blockage to neighbours I wouldn't get the planning approved if I went for resubmission.

Just make sure your designer considers all design options, rather than a "you wont get it".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back