Change of consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new kitchen and as result I will be moving the built in oven and installing new LED down lighters. My current consumer unit has a single pole main switch and a single RCD. Am I required to update the consumer unit to a new 17 edition consumer unit? I am aware that all the work mention is notifiable. Ken.

Sponsored Links
so long as you have space and an RCD, nope. Are you sure it's a single pole main switch?

I am fitting a new kitchen and as result I will be moving the built in oven and installing new LED down lighters. My current consumer unit has a single pole main switch and a single RCD. Am I required to update the consumer unit to a new 17 edition consumer unit? I am aware that all the work mention is notifiable.
Are you sure that it's a single-pole main switch - that would be unusual?

Anyway, there is no general requirement to bring your CU (or any other part of the electrical installation) up to the standard of current regulations. If your new kitchen requires additional electrical circuits (also notifiable) the question obviously might arise as to whether your present CU has adequate capacity to accommodate additional circuits. If the CU did have to be replaced, the new one would have to comply with current regs - which in most people's eyes means either dual-RCD or multiple RCBOs.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
tbf it's because your response are more indepth than mine was. But at least these posters are getting consistent messages!

Sorry RCD is on off switch no separate isolator as in new consumer units. Thanks for the information. My current box has a spare space.
Ken

tbf it's because your response are more indepth than mine was. But at least these posters are getting consistent messages!
That's generous of you. Thanks. Let's just hope that the consistency persists and that no posters find themsleves getting totally different (and incompatible) responses from you and I in quick succession :)

Cheers, John

Sorry RCD is on off switch no separate isolator as in new consumer units. Thanks for the information. My current box has a spare space.
Fair enough. If your 'main switch' is actually the RCD, that will be double-pole and, although not up to current regs, does not need to be 'upgraded'. So, if you've got enough 'space' in the CU, you're probably OK with it.

Kind Regards, John

I see RCDs used as main switches all the time, I think it's a horrendous design, but like John said, it was acceptable once, and current regs are not retrospective

I see RCDs used as main switches all the time, I think it's a horrendous design, but like John said, it was acceptable once, and current regs are not retrospective
Do you mean that you think the concept of using an RCD as an isolator is, itself, 'horrendous', or are you referring to the fact that it implies that a single RCD is covering all circuits? If the former, I wonder why - although obviously not primarily designed as an isolator, an RCD 'does the job', doesn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Possibly.

kitchen-and-bath-combined_5965.jpg

Is kitchen work notifiable now?
Nope, as you know, not notifiable per se (in England) any more. However, replacing a CU, and possible 'new circuits' (which were mentioned and/or implied in the OP) obviously still are.

Kind Regards, John

Do you mean that you think the concept of using an RCD as an isolator is, itself, 'horrendous', or are you referring to the fact that it implies that a single RCD is covering all circuits? If the former, I wonder why - although obviously not primarily designed as an isolator, an RCD 'does the job', doesn't it?

I mean the latter, it's one thing to lose half the installation if one RCD trips but if one follows the sockets up+lights down / lights up+sockets down split on a split load you're unlikely to be plunged in to total darkness in the event of an RCD operation.

It also stinks if there is a fault that causes the RCD to operate that is not immediately obvious, leaving the house without any power until the fault is discovered and rectified.

This of course is referring to TN(C)S installations rather than TT, which of course I appreciate are (mostly) all protected up front by a 100mA RCD

I mean the latter, it's one thing to lose half the installation if one RCD trips but if one follows the sockets up+lights down / lights up+sockets down split on a split load you're unlikely to be plunged in to total darkness in the event of an RCD operation.
Fair enough. I can't argue with that. It was the former of the possibilities that I would have been less convinced about.
This of course is referring to TN(C)S installations rather than TT, which of course I appreciate are (mostly) all protected up front by a 100mA RCD
Well, that used to be the case - but if all the final circuits have 30mA RCD/RCBO protection, the up-front RCD is no longer really required, is it (unless, like me, one has submains to protect!)?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back