change of use - seperating wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

can anyone help me specify an upgrade to an internal wall currently 100mm stud (not sure if there is any insulation within), that needs to become a seperating wall between residential flat and an office space? I have tried looking at White Book (British Gypsum) but cannot find a scenario where an internal wall is upgraded?

Also, if the seperating floor (between ground & first) is concrete (with a suspended ceiling to ground floor), does there need to be any upgrading there?

I beleive the wall requires 60mins fire & 54dB noise reduction?

Any pointers would be a real help, thanks...

Sponsored Links
It wouldn't be sensible to upgrade that sort of wall because you could never be sure it will pass a test. Better to take it down and start again with a known construction. (by known I mean a construction where the sound reduction is tested and known)

Why remove a perfectly serviceable wall?

Just add the appropriate layers of plasterboard, fermocell or quilt to bring it up to the required level ..... that is exactly what you would do when rebuilding it!

Polstar, I don't want to tell you what to use as I suspect this is another job of yours which you should know what to do and it's part of your business

Sponsored Links
It's a DIY forum for helping DIYers.

If you are in business and being paid for your services, then you should know what to do, pay for the training or contract the work out.

There is a distinction between helping and doing someone's job. To that end, I did mention plasterborad, fermocell or quilt, so all you have to do is work out how much of each - there is published manufacturers info to help you

to be honest woody, i did forget that this was for DIYers! i totally see your point about i should know these things, but as i don't i was just looking for some help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back