Change old cracked toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to change the toilet as its already showing some fine cracks through the porcelain but not sure how to remove its old connection to the soil pipe.
I have just uploaded couple of images so you can see.
I think is still the original toilet from the 60's when the house was built.

Should i smash the porcelain or use a chisel to remove the cement around the base?
What's the best way to remove it ?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Drill a few holes in the cement and gently chip away. The glazeware is prone to cracking if you are too rough.

Do not smash the porcelain as you may drop pieces of it down the pipe.

Pete

You may be lucky, and find there's a large hemp gasket under relatively soft and thin pointing....

....Or the gasket may be smaller, or non-existant, and the pipe collar completely stuffed with a strong mortar mix that's set harder than the collar.

Sponsored Links
Undo the screws holding the pan to the floor, and try gently swinging the pan to and fro.....those salt glaze collars are so brittle, they break off just by looking at them.
Up here we call the hemp packing 'toot'......and if its been mixed with bitumen, 'tarry toot' :p Don't really know why!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back