change routing of internal gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous installer of the CH system in my house routed gas to the combi from the meter (15mm cu), up through about 10 metres of pipe and associated elbows. It is exposed on the landing along with all the CH pipes and I dont like the idea of excessive joints on pipes.

I've spotted a way to connect to the combi (currently out of service and disconnected until a gas chap comes in to fix it) from a 3/4 steel female capped elbow that was hidden inside a kitchen stud wall, presumably for a cooker. This could connect to the combi with a single 2m unbroken run of copper pipe.
I'm assuming that the gas installer before either didnt see this shortcut, or had good reason not to use it.

opinions?

bert.

Sponsored Links
If you have 10M of 15mm copper plus loads of bends then either installer was not CORGI or a muppet :rolleyes:

Do you actually get plenty of hot water?

You will need at least to have it changed to 22mm copper all the way, maybe even some of it at the start in 28mm depending on output of combi and number of elbows in the run :eek:

What size combi is it?

It seemed to be all working fine when I moved in, it's a 22kw worcester bosch I think for a small well insulated 2 bed 1 bath pad, though I will be installing wet underfloor heating in 3 rooms in a few months time so maybe need to get a condenser later on...

Having said that I never got a chance to put the gas cooker on with all hobs blazing at the same time as running h/water but guess there was no problem there either - it all seemed to installed 8 years ago.

will running 22m from the steel make a difference as it would still go through the coupler bottle neck - a plumber told me that 3/4 steel is internally the same diameter at 15mm copper when he came to freeze the steel 3/4 water main and fit a stop.

28mm is 1 inch I take it, that is coming from the meter and goes down into the concrete floor where it branches of into the 2 x 3/4's seen in the kitchen and 1/4 inch for the living room gas fire.

Sponsored Links
bananaspark said:
an incredible bunch of b*llocks about gas and gas pipework
Why are you getting involved with gas when you barely have any grasp of what you're talking about?

softus
bananaspark wrote:
an incredible bunch of b*llocks about gas and gas pipework

Why are you getting involved with gas when you barely have any grasp of what you're talking about?

am i missing somthing here cant see this quote in the OP thought he was asking advice on something the cake maker had not seen :?:

Well I might be able to clarify it, but what's all this about a cake maker?

Oh, ok. Well, my post was an opinion, which the OP requested, and was particularly based on the following revealing snippets:

I'm assuming...
I never got a chance...
...but guess there was no problem there..
28mm is 1 inch I take it

nortimax said:
Steel watermain? Surley not

steel.jpg
200px-Dennis_waterman_SWEENY.jpg
SHIRLEY-BASSEY.jpg
X

:?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back