Change tap washer but can't stop water flow.

Thank you hazetime, while I was there, washing all his dirty dishes, cups and forks and knives, and generally cleaning all around the sink, oh it was real filthy, I really cannot understand how he became a horder!

Any way what I wanted to say was that his hot water (which was just warm as he did not switch on the immersion heater) I had virtually used it up all in cleaning up, all to an extent that it stopped coming out any more.....his hot water ran out! and it is not even giving cold water out! its gone dry!

I thought for a moment how strange! it shouldn't have stopped altogether, it may get cold but it should not have stopped altogether! something is weird!

So in the end I had to tell him that I don't know what I have done, but his hot water has stopped coming out of the tap altogether! not even cold water is coming out of his hot water tap! really strange i thought!

So I asked him why has his hot water all run out, his answer was that his loft tank float is no good or punctured, and he had tied up a string to the arm, and each time he must fill it up manually as otherwise his tank starts overflowing, besides he didn't want the whole tank heated up when all he needs is a few gallons of hot water a day!

Hey guys have you come up with this mod to anyone's hot water tank to save money, hey it does make sense! :LOL:

So I couldn't believe what this chap has been up to! pulls a string to shut the float valve closed and later on I learnt that he uses a nail to tie this string and while each morning when he has a crap, he lets it fill up! or fill up whenever it runs out, but only for like 5 to 10 minutes! the nail is stuck to the bathroom window frame!

so where is it I asked, and his reply don't worry he will fill it up later, the string is upstairs in his bathroom which again is horded up to ceiling, just a pan and WHB, and 1/4 part of the bath tub where he stands and washes himself with a wet sponge!

Now I thought while his hot water has all been drained away, isn't it a good opportunity to now undo this hot water tap and see what kind of washer i might need or even find out if at all I can undo it.....and he panicked...started saying please no no don't do it now, if something does go wrong then it is Sunday almost 10 pm now! so it was quite disappointing that he did not even let me have a look at what sort of tap it is and what kind of washer I might need. :rolleyes:

hey guys do you think only you come across weird plumbing! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
jesus i hope its a bottom entry element.

I would have thought that a side entry one would be a lot easier to get to, the bottom entry you have to unscrew from the bottom and all that residual water then has good chance of escaping and unless you have a towel to absorb, take as much out as you can bail out, after flushing,

Again there is a problem since his water cannot be totally shut down as the water stop cock is not accessible. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back