changed back box and now ring faulty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hope someone could assist me, Last week I decided to change a double gang socket from a wall mount to one thats inbeded in the wall.
So I've chiselled out the box hole and put in the new back box and wired the previous socket identically to how it was previously.
I then tested it and it worked fine, however when I switched on the socket that was nearest to it that plug made a noise then switched on, whereas the new replaced one switched off.
Ever since then no plugs in that room have worked, I have double checked the wiring in each of the plugs and there are no issues, but when I put a socket tester in, the replaced socket is showing LIVE & EARTH REVERSED (which is wrong), and on the other socket NO NEUTRAL.
So I'm puzzled, everything is wired up correctly but nothing works

any tips

Sponsored Links
post photos of the inside of the socket you changed and the next one that you mention

This is the wiring of the socket thats not been touched,

[et]186852/64397_71313778.jpg[/net]
And this is the wiring of the one that iv inbedded into wall.

And this is the reading on both sockets

Sponsored Links
The photograph of the single gang socket that is marked - 'never touched' appears to have three live cables but only two earth and neutral cables - is that correct?
We need to see the cabling behind the socket with the tester in.

No it has 2x earyh and 3x neutral
Doesn't look like it from the photo - I can see there is an earth missing which is worrying.
You may not have an earth connection at the new socket of which we need to see the rear.

I actually meant the upload of the photo to my post never worked, but your also correct. Once wired up the first time, I plugged a radio into socket to test t, and radio worked fine, I then tried the socket nearest to it (had a washing machine plugged into it) that socket made a fizz sound the the washing machhine came on, but the radio witched off, and since then, neither socket has worked

Doesn't look like it from the photo - I can see there is an earth missing which is worrying.
You may not have an earth connection at the new socket of which we need to see the rear.

It definitly does have the above connections its just a tight angle to get a good photo.

This photo
shows the wiring of the socket inbedded into wall it has 2x neutral live and earth wires going into it as normal.

As I said previously all these sockets were working fine a couple of days a go and techinically nothing has been changed other than a inbedded back box rather than a wall mounted box, everything else is the same and only one socket (the photo in this post) has been removed and re wired the exactly the same

It definitly does have the above connections its just a tight angle to get a good photo.
It doesn't have a third earth - so that live and neutral (without the earth) is going somewhere and could be causing you problems - it is also dangerous.
and please put some sleeving on the bare earth wires.
Also are you sure that you have got a good connection at the terminals and not pinched the insulation on one of the terminals.

Do you have a multimeter?

Do you know if these sockets are on a ring or radial?

You are going to have to identify where all the cables come from/go to and check them for breaks. The one with 3 reds/neutrals and just 2 earths has a spur, does that goto a light or another socket?

Do you have a multimeter? nope

Do you know if these sockets are on a ring or radial? no idea

You are going to have to identify where all the cables come from/go to and check them for breaks. The one with 3 reds/neutrals and just 2 earths has a spur, does that goto a light or another socket?

Think that one goes of to a another socket

Plus you possibly need to sleeve the neutrals, the insulation looks damaged and may be shorting to earth when you screw back the socket.

And sleeve the cpc's.

Show us the connections and wiring inside that socket you changed.

The plug-in socket tester is not infallible.

It can show odd readings that don't match the fault. It can even show odd readings that don't show on the front of the tester.

Like this one of mine here from a few years ago:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back