Changeing a tap washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone advise me on changing a tap washer on a kitchen mixer tap,its the cold side,do I just need to turn the stop cock off ,is it ok that the water still runs out of the hot side or do I need to run that until it stops,also is there a way of undoing the screw which is a bit chewed and won't undo with a screwdriver many thanks

Sponsored Links
If you have a combi boiler turning the stopcock off will stop the hot and cold anyway if there are no isolation valves under the sink. As for getting the screw out you could try making a slot on the head to undo with a flat head screwdriver.

Sounds like you have mains cold and tank-fed hot. Turning the stopcock of is OK so long as the cold water has stopped.

If it is a chewed cross-top screw it can be possible to undo them with a flat screwdriver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back