Changing 12v spot lights for 240v GU10 spot lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Helping out a friend with a lighting problem and hoped one of you could help out with confirming or otherwise our views:

Nearly all of the lighting in the flat is provided by 12v spots. (installed some 5-10 years ago) As the person upstands stomps around some of the bulbs can flicker on and off, which we believe is due to the poor connections between the bulb prongs and the fitting.

This issue I understand could be overcome by installing 240v GU10 style fixings which have better connections.

The cabling is 1.5mm twin and earth from the CU. At each bulb point there is a terminal-block connection which is connected to a small transformer and then the 12v light. (each bulb has its own small transformer)

We thought it would be acceptable to remove the transformer and fitting (at the terminal block point) and attach a 240v style fitting. We also plan to enclose all of the terminal blocks in 'choc boxes'.

In addition, some of the circuits are on two-way dimmer switches. Am I right in thinking that if we replace the 12v 20W bulbs with 240v 20W bulbs there should not be any need to upgrade the dimmers? (Assuming the current dimmers are adequate)

Questions:
Is the above a reasonable idea and would it help the flickering problem?
Should we look at up grading the dimmer switches?
Any potential problem I have missed?
Part P? (I do not think the works are 'notifiable')

Thanks

Andrew

Sponsored Links
All seems OK until dimmer switches there are different dimmers for different transformers as in many cases they are really inverters rather than transformers and you will need to check on information from manufactures.
Of course there could be issues with cable type and earthing or if any are fitted in bathrooms or kitchens but seems OK.
Eric

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back