Changing a cooker socket to standard 2 gang, but not RCD protected. Allowable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wife wants me to add some sockets where she works, but one of them involves removing a cooker outlet and swapping over the switched socket to standard 2 gang socket outlet. The problem is that it's on an old Wylex fuse wire board and although I could swap the red 30A fuse to a blue 15A and even run it off an FCU, it's not RCD protected. Is this allowable?

Sponsored Links
No.

Odd that someone competent to do electrical work in a place where the Electricity At Work Regulations doesn't know that....

And what's the fuse rating got to do with it?

Bear with me as I'm still doing my Level 2 at the moment and I'm getting my ears bent by the wife to help.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for pointing that out. I did wonder how I was going to RCD protect any alterations, hence my OP (needed clarity from the experts).
I could use a double in place of the cooker switch and a single RCD FCU to move one of the other sockets which is on a different circuit.

Bear with me as I'm still doing my Level 2 at the moment and I'm getting my ears bent by the wife to help.
Yeah, but.

Yeah, but.

Yeah, but.

There are no exemptions in the EAWR for people having their ears bent.

Which is why I asked for confirmation first as it's better to check in advance rather than blindly crack on without the relevant info.
Helpful comment though...

Yeah, but...

Asking because you don't know does not make you legally competent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back