Changing a light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a new flat and wanted to change the light in the bedroom.

It was a central light with a cord pull down at one end of the room.

When i removed the rose to change the fitting there are three red wires, three black wires and three wires with green sleeve.

When i connected the three live, neautral and earth wires however to the new light fitting, it just tripped the fuse.

I believe this is because of the cord pull down switch,

How do i over come this , do i need to buy additional materials etc, thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
One of the 'wires' is your switch line, you will need to identify which one, did one of the 'black' conductors have any sleeving or tape on it ??? :eek:

Ed.

I know which one it is, but in the new light (attached to the ceiling), i don't know where it goes.

basically i have two red(live), two black(neutral), and the earths.
then one more red and black(which are the wires from the pull cord,

Its these i don't know where to put.

Sponsored Links
sorry, but when i connect the wires do i get some of those plastic things that you screww the wires into.

And where do they go once i have done that, can i just stuff them back into the ceiling, or can you buy a proper plastic housing for them to sit in

Right, Neutrals into the N terminal, all together (EXCEPT the black one with a red sleeve). The Switched Live (that's the black one with the red sleeve) into the L terminal. All three Earth conductors into the E terminal (don't forget to sleeve them if you've taken the sleeving off).

Now, in your light fitting I assume there are no other terminals? If not, all your red conductors need to go into a choc block (or as you say, plastic things that you screw wires into) to be connected together. Is there space in the base of your new light fitting for the choc block? If not you need to get a choc box to put the choc block into, close it over and the stick it up into the ceiling.

I had a similar problem the other day and had a complete mind block on what I needed to do. It's in my memory for good now thogh.

Regards

Fred

In my head i know what to do dont know the technical terms.

Plastic thingy = Choc block and chock box

But i knew what i meant.

Thanks mate.

Might get it sorted soon as no electrians seem interested.

If an electrician can make X amount on a one day job without having to visit 5+ sites, then they are likely to take the one day job.

You'd be better off going around the house and quantifying all the jobs he could do at once.

This boosts the cost, but then maybe it doesn't.

If the guy has to tool up, drive 10 miles either way x 5 visits for 3 hours work he will charge 5 x 30 minutes travel, fuel and then for the work itself.

Put some more meat on the job and I'm sure someone will be keen to do the work. I avoid minor 'minor' works, but the guys I know that do start at £50 for 1st hour, then reduce to a more modest cost per hour after.

Either you pay more or offer more work and reduce the overall cost.

What area are you based?

Mate i knew you were going to give me the tool up and drive nonsence, thats a round about way of saying i'm not interested in the little jobs, just the big ones please.

Thats not the way to run a business cause i tell you this both the electricians i phoned wont get a referral from me, in fact i would now go out of my way to say don't use him or him, so for not doing my little job, they might lose work.

The fact is i live in a town that has a small population, i explained what was needed and how long it would take both said " oh yes two minute job", will give you a call in a couple of days.

I have now been to get the supplies i need and am going to attempt it my self, fingers crossed for me.

I am doing one room at a time and cant wait for all the jobs to be ready at once, at the moment i have no lighting cause of this one light in the bedroom, good job its summer and i have a torch.

Not you fault mate just your here and they are not, but like i said don't forget the little man

if you find a local guy then they might "drop in" on their way home to do a minor 20 min job if you tell them that you have more work for them later..

if it's a one off 20 min job and doing it takes a few hours out of time from a 3 day minor job then they're going to go for the bigger job first.. makes sense..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back