Changing an old rad with connecting pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to change my old single radiator. Done it before downstairs with no probs, but the one i want to change looks different.

It seems to have a horizontal pipe connecting the inflow and the outflow pipes?? Just before each vertical pipe is connected to the rad, there is a horizontal pipe connecting the two. Any ideas?

Do i need to do anything different here, or just rip it out and install like normal?

Are there any disadvantages in buying a bigger rad? Thinking of buying a double which is slightly bigger that the original to get more heat.

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
You got a picture?

Bigger rad gives out more heat (of course) and can lead to better efficiency too.

i would imagine that this is a rad replaced on a single pipe system.

pics of other rads on the system may help also.

rad2ny3.jpg

rad1wr8.jpg

First pic is of the old rad sorry didnt have time to get a photo, hope you can see what i mean

Sponsored Links
the top picture.
someone has done that on purpose as they believed the rads were fitted in series. who ever did it thought that the other rads on the system would get no flow if the trv shut down.
shut the trv down & shut the ballofix. run the heating.

do all the other rads work ?

bottom picture.
i'm guessing thats the one you changed.

if you were to shut down this trv.

do all the other rads work ?

we have a housing estate with communial heating plumbed in like that on a one pipe system.

Thanks for the replies!

Ill try that and let you know how I get on.

All the other rads in the house are normal so im guessing this is one from the old system maybe that was not changed over.

My house is kinda cold so i want to upgrade some of the rads. I guess i cant simply buy bigger rads cause there is a limit on the boilers output?

Thanks again guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back