Changing and old 2 gang light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am trying to change an old style 2 gang light switch ( one switch hallway light, other switch outside light). When I took the face off the wires didn't seem to make sense. The old one does lable what the wires all are so I don't know where to put them in the new one. Any help much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20240309_110822.jpg
    20240309_110822.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 20240309_110830.jpg
    20240309_110830.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20240309_105703.jpg
    20240309_105703.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
You will note that your old switch is two triangles the same way up and the new switch is two triangles with one upside down.

Just transfer the wires from triangle to triangle.

Sponsored Links
I would say that the wiring looks a bit odd with the colours that are used.

Did the two lights work as they should?

That whats confusing me there is blue, red, yellow and black wires. Yes both lights work perfectly, the hall light has a second switch at the bottom of the stairs if that effects anything.

If the lights worked properly then presumably all is well.

Someone must just have wired it in an unusual way.

Thank you for all your help, just one more question sorry;

How I'll I know which way round the blue and yellow wires go for the green triangle I've drawn?

How I'll I know which way round the blue and yellow wires go for the green triangle I've drawn?
It doesn't matter. It will just affect which way up the switch is when on or off which also doesn't (really) matter with two-way switching.

The same with the red in L2-1 or L2-2 on the other switch.

Hi, I am trying to change an old style 2 gang light switch ( one switch hallway light, other switch outside light). When I took the face off the wires didn't seem to make sense. The old one does lable what the wires all are so I don't know where to put them in the new one. Any help much appreciated!
Before you start working with electrical connections you really should get an understanding of that which is trying to be achieved.
For "Multi-way switching", please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiway_switching

NOTE:

"This article follows usage in the United States.
Readers in most other countries should read "two-way" or "SPDT" for the United States "three-way"; and "intermediate", "crossover" or "DPDT" switch for the United States "four-way"."

The "Traveler System" is most common in North America (and elsewhere)
BUT
in the UK,
that which is termed (in this article) as the "California" system is quite common.

BUT
in the UK,
that which is termed (in this article) as the "California" system is quite common.
I believe you are very wrong on this point, I believe I have only ever encountered it whilst sorting out an horrendous botched system, I won't even insult it by calling it DIY or amateur.
The terms we use in UK are 'conventional' (same as US traveller) and 'conversion' (Not the same as US California) systems using 2 way and intermediate switches (not 3 way and 4 way)

When you fit the new switch it is important to add an earthwire link between the earth terminals in the switch and the backbox

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back