Changing B3 to B22 Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy New Year!

We have one bedroom that has a 3-pin bayonet fixture (the rest of the house has 2-pin).

I am looking at changing the 3-pin to a 2-pin.

I wanted to know if I can simply keep the base (already screwed into the ceiling) and simply changeover the hanging part?

It appears I can pull out the blue and brown wires; and then replace with new BC/B22 hanging socket?

Would the cover part fit the exiting base? Are these parts universal?

Current fitting:

View media item 87516

Proposed replacement:

Sponsored Links
you can replace the lamp holder and connect to flex or if you purchase lamp holder with flex connected, a straight swap to ceiling rose terminals.

Happy New Year

Sponsored Links
Ok. So managed to hook this up however had a final question.

The cables do not fit snuggly over the new socket. The wires are not exposed however the cables are not saddled over the socket - they do not follow the "s-shape" illustrated in the diagram or how socket was installed previously.

Is this going to be an issue?

View media item 87556

It isn't difficult to make them fit into the cord grip properly, it even tells you how long the individual wires need to be in the pic.

It isn't difficult to make them fit into the cord grip properly, it even tells you how long the individual wires need to be in the pic.

I wanted to avoid messing around with it further however can do if it is a safety issue. I wanted to know if there is any danger is not sitting the cables as per the diagram?

The cables fit within the housing and the socket closes cleanly.

I wanted to avoid messing around with it further however can do if it is a safety issue. I wanted to know if there is any danger is not sitting the cables as per the diagram? ... The cables fit within the housing and the socket closes cleanly.
It is desirable that you route the wires over/around the cable clamp as per the picture. In that way, when you close it all up the clamps will take the weight of the lampholder and lamp, reducing the risk that the conductors could be pulled out of the terminals.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John. Makes sense. I will have a go at tidying this up.

The fixture is only holding a bulb but can see it being a risk in the future if someone tugs on the socket when changing a bulb.

Thanks John. Makes sense. I will have a go at tidying this up. ... The fixture is only holding a bulb but can see it being a risk in the future if someone tugs on the socket when changing a bulb.
Sure, the weight of just the bulb would not be an issue, and (assuming screws were done up tight!) it would take quite a tug to pull the wires from the terminals, but it's not impossible - so best to do it 'properly, as intended'!

Kind Regards, John

put the wires in the terminals first then fiddle the cores into the clamp after

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back