Changing CU - A few questions (Pics attached)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please see below for pics of my existing CU. I want to change this for a new split load CU. Just a few questions about conforming to regs etc:

As you can see the main switch fuse is seperate to the existing CU. I intend to keep this in place - is there any requirement for a switch fuse/isolator in the new CU or can i just supply in directly from the existing switch fuse?

Most of the cables enter the existing CU from behind. This will mean cutting a hole in the back of the new CU. Is this acceptable? There's no other option really - not enough slack on the cables/space on the board.

Thanks.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7614/dsc00460zw8.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1866/dsc00451tu1.jpg

[/img]

Sponsored Links
This will be Irish regs. No doubt someone will know.

No problem with cutting a whole in the rear of the CU, but if the cables are tight you may still have problems when trying to connect them to the new CU. The best solution is to replace the cables back to the first connection, if this isn't possible use a good quality pair of ratchet crimpers and some heat shrink sleeving.

Thanks for that. Replacing the cables to the first connection point is not possible. all the cables are fed in from behind the board as you can see, so to access these cables the supply to the cut-out would need to be disconnected and the whole back board removed. :eek:
Anyway i had a good look at the cables. I think there is enough slack on them to terminate them in the new CU.

any ideas on the main fuse question?

Sponsored Links
Dr_Doolittle said:
all the cables are fed in from behind the board as you can see, so to access these cables the supply to the cut-out would need to be disconnected and the whole back board removed.

You could cut an aperture in the back board to give more freedom as to where the cables enter the back of the consumer unit which may gain an extra inch or two to ease the wiring of the consumer unit.

Yea i though about that but there's alot of cables behind the back board, including the main neutral and earth cables. so i don't want to risk cutting them by mistake.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back