Changing/Installing TRV's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Boulter Buderus combi boiler some of the TRV's could do with being changed, Do I have to drain the system down as with header tank system.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid you do.

A combi still has a closed loop heating circuit so unless you have isolating valves fitted in the system, it will all have to be dumped.

Unless you don't want to.
No air in means no water out.

There's very likely to be an automatic air vent which will let air in, until you screw its top shut.

Open a drain cock until the pressure drops to zero. Water will stop coming out even though the system is still full of water.
Close the drain cock.
Then , shut both rad valves, and drain the radiator and disconnect the valve you want to change, from the radiator.
Then if you remove the rad valve from the pipe, it's like opening that drain cock. You might lose a little water, if water can drop in the system and stretch any air bubble that's in it, but that's all.
You can open the trv, to let that amount of water out, before you remove it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back