Changing Kitchen Doors 2mm problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I would change my kitchen doors with new ones from B&Q but discovered a 2mm difference in the carcass thickness. My old MFI carcasses are 18mm, B&Q it seems are 16mm. The external dimensions of the doors are fine when you just hold up the new door in place (I bought one test door). I thought all carcasses were 18mm but it seems B&Q are 16mm.
However, when I mounted the hinges (having set new screw holes for hinge plates etc.) I have found that the door is too far to the left on a right hand hinged door. Because the carcass is 2mm thicker, the hinge is 2mm too far in and this cannot be taken up by the adjustment range of the hinge.

Is there a way of taking up this 2mm - slimmer hinge plate ?
or cut new mounting holes in the doors ?
or
Are other makes more likely to fit with 18mm carcasses ?

Sponsored Links
The B&Q carcass is more likely to be 15mm than 18mm. I would look to replace the hinges with ones designed for 15mm carcasses. More specifically the mounting plates for the hinges come in different depths for different thicknesses of carcasses, and they are quite cheap. See what make of hinge you have and do a Google search.

For reference the B&Q IT kitchens use Hafele hinges, not sure what the Cook and Lewis range use.

This looks hopeful.

Foxhole - Which hinges did you use? I am using my original hinges off the old doors.

Looks like some experiments with hinge plates may help.

Sponsored Links
This looks hopeful.

Foxhole - Which hinges did you use? I am using my original hinges off the old doors.

Looks like some experiments with hinge plates may help.
Have a mix of hinges some original ' Salice' some 'Blum' and some unbranded.

b&q have two brands of kitchens

it kitchens use 16mm carcasses
cooke and lewis 18mm

get the cooke and lewis doors and you should be fine

Update - OK found the right plates. My son had installed a B&Q kitchen and had a couple of spare hinges. As someone said, the mounting plates come in various offsets - 0,2,4 mm. I needed the 0 which are for 18mm carcasses - the door side mount is the same.

I now have a sample so should be able to source the rest. Thanks all. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back