Changing MR16 Halogen Bulbs to LED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all thank you very much for you help in the past.

This problem involves a en-suite shower room in a 16 year old house ... we have only had the house for 2 years. At some point 3 modern flush fitting MR16 halogen lights were fitted and a forth one in the centre of the ventilation fan.

Having just given the room a once over I decided to change the 4 x 50w halogen bulbs for 4 x 5w LED in Warm White. None of the original bulbs were in the holders at the time.

Each time I fitted a LED bulb I turned the light switch on to test it. When fitting the last bulb that happened to be in one of the ceiling lights as opposed to the extractor fan and turning the light switch on all four lit momentarily then all four went off and stayed off. Turning the light switch off and back on again would just repeat the same thing ... on for a split second then off ... I assumed the last bulb was faulty ... I removed it from the ceiling light and fitted it in the fan ... the same thing happened ... changed the bulb at the store for a new one and tried again ... exactly the same ... I tried various permutations to rule out a faulty light fitting. Returned to the store and changed the bulb again, tried it again with the same results.

With three LED's and one halogen in the fan they work perfectly.

I can see on the ceiling where the original single light fitting was and if the main bathroom is anything to go by it would have been a standard light fitting when the house was new.

The 1mm or 1.5mm FT&E coming to each new light fitting looks perfect.

I haven't checked if when the four shower room lights go out on fitting the fourth bulb any other upstairs lights go out, or if everything on that circuit goes out. It just seems as though the excitement of having four LED's is too much for it.

I'd be grateful of any help ... presumably I haven't had three faulty bulbs on the trot.

Ray

I inadvertently put this question in Electrics outside the UK if some one could delete it please.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/changing-from-halogen-to-led-bulbs.461500/#ixzz4C6bRcrqg

Sponsored Links
DIYnot.JPG

A common mistake.

The existing lamps will have a voltage converter box that converts the mains voltage (230v) to 12volts. The converter probably needs a minimum load for it to work properly.
With one of the old lamps in circuit, the load will be sufficient but 4 new ones is not enough.

SO you need to change the old converter for a compatible LED driver.

Are the lights on a dimmer switch ?
Oh yes, and that is a factor too.

Sponsored Links
Thank you DS and TTC,

You can tell I'm not an electrician :(... I'm supposed to know about mechanical things by all accounts ... there is no dimmer switch.

I'll have a look in the loft for the voltage converter and get the details from it ... are new ones of the proper type readily available?

Ray

As said common error, Philips state their LED bulbs have some technology to get around the problem. But reports on this site says it does not work.
The 12 volt power supply method of regulating to 12 volt needs a minimum load, there are some made now which don't need the minimum load, so the cure is either swap the power supply, or move to 230 volt lamps. Question is will the one in centre of the fan change to 230 volt version?

The power supplies come as AC and DC often the DC ones are labelled as drivers although that is not really the correct name. Be careful to select fixed voltage true drivers have a fixed current.

Thank you very much Eric,

It's at my son's house so I'll have to wait for a chance to find the existing transformer, not knowing if the type of connection is important.

Ray

A common mistake.

The existing lamps will have a voltage converter box that converts the mains voltage (230v) to 12volts. The converter probably needs a minimum load for it to work properly.
With one of the old lamps in circuit, the load will be sufficient but 4 new ones is not enough.

He never said the lights were 12 volt. Why do you think they are?

All he said is that they are MR 16 which means they are 2 inches in diameter.

A common mistake.

He never said the lights were 12 volt. Why do you think they are?

All he said is that they are MR 16 which means they are 2 inches in diameter.
And to be MR they must have a multi faceted reflector so LED lamps without a multi faceted reflector are not MR16 but just a MR16 equivalent. I have MR16 equivalent lamps with E14, E28, GU10, and G5.3 fittings and an internet hunt will show you can get them all in 12 volt and 220 volt versions, although I would not like to use a G5.3 on 220 volt. I say 220 volt as to be fair not seen a G5.3 rated 230 volt.

As to now we are leaving Europe we will keep the 230 volt or revert to 240 volt I don't know!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back