Changing my Intermediate Light Switch in bathroom

It looks to me as if it might be a 2 way switch (which can be used as a 1 way switch) and a spare terminal that some makes of switches have these days. That would explain the four terminals (unless it is actually double pole). Often 2 way switches are marked com, L1, L2 for two way switching then ether L1 or L2 be used if it`s only to be used as a 1 way) but sometimes a manufacturer might name the L1, L2 and L3 instead of Com, L1 and L2 just to confuse things . If another one says SP (spare) that could explain it and I think that is what EFLImpudance might be thinking.

Yes the apparent lack of earths seem strange but they might, perversely be connected above the back of the switch.

I suggest getting a pro in (I would have refused to pay someone £150 to tell that they do not know what they are doing - If I were to have done that I could have retired many years ago).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes when I took it off that was the back of it. Again tried looking for it only but couldn't find the exact one.

Attachments

• IMG_4373.jpg
    IMG_4373.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 46
It looks to me as if it might be a 2 way switch (which can be used as a 1 way switch) and a spare terminal that some makes of switches have these days. That would explain the four terminals (unless it is actually double pole). Often 2 way switches are marked com, L1, L2 for two way switching then ether L1 or L2 be used if it`s only to be used as a 1 way) but sometimes a manufacturer might name the L1, L2 and L3 instead of Com, L1 and L2 just to confuse things . If another one says SP (spare) that could explain it and I think that is what EFLImpudance might be thinking.

Yes the apparent lack of earths seem strange but they might, perversely be connected above the back of the switch.

I suggest getting a pro in (I would have refused to pay someone £150 to tell that they do not know what they are doing - If I were to have done that I could have retired many years ago).
I think I saw the earths tucked away in the sealing when I took it fully off

Ah - it is Double Pole.

What about fitting the new switch?

Mark the two single browns so they don't get mixed up.

Then, in the new switch fit the three browns in L-in and one of the single browns in L-out.
Safely terminate the other two wires for the time being.

Also pull the earths down and join in the earth terminal

Do any lights work?

Sponsored Links
Strangest double pole switch I have ever seen with those terminal markings. Testing required me thinks ! If one of those single brown wires is a neutral I wouldnt advise connecting it to L out !!

Hi yes went to screw fix to buy a voltage detector pen so will check the wires now and report back

Ahh right by "singles" you meant the two terminals each having one (brown) conductor present. I was thinking in terms of T & E , S & E or again without earths, that`s what confused me, I thought you might be seeing a bit of a sheath or two where I could not.

I didn't say "singles"; I said 'the two single browns' - but what difference would it have made if they were what you thought I meant?.

correct you did. but it is Sunday, no wonder I am easily confused

So I can't properly test the wires. As soon as I get close to the switch it goes off so can't determine which ones are live

So I can't properly test the wires. As soon as I get close to the switch it goes off so can't determine which ones are live
Use your multimeter .And drop the switch from the ceiling and show us a pic of any / all other wires that are within the ceiling.
Is the switch stuck on or off ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Use your multimeter .And drop the switch from the ceiling and show us a pic of any / all other wires that are within the ceiling.
Is the switch stuck on or off ?
I'm not sure which setting to choose on the multi meter and how to use it so guess I have to find someone who can come around and fix it. At the moment after I took the switch off and looked inside the lights are now permanently on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back