changing taps cast iron bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice please! I am part way through changing the taps on my cast iron bath and have discovered the holes are square. The new taps have a round rubber washer for the underside that does not match the square holes. I want to be sure the taps are held firm and do not start to rotate in their hole when turned off. The old ones seemed to be cemented in with what looked like putty, should I do the same ? Take care, God Bless. Ken

Sponsored Links
I have rubber washers. The problem is that the square holes are far bigger than the round shank of the tap. I guess that when this cast iron bath was made (35 years ago) the design of the taps was different. Thanks for your response. As a new member I and wondered if there was anybody out there. Take care, God Bless. Ken

try top hat washers, although if your bath is 35 years old these might not fit either, good luck and god bless

Sponsored Links
Thanks Picasso. I read your reply just before leaving to buy some copper tube from my local DIY store. There, in front of my eyes, was a box of 'Top Hat' washers. I've never heard or seen them before but I bought two and think that they will do the trick. Sorry Terry, I didn't see any Fixtap washers, maybe you were only joking?. Take care both of you, God Bless. Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back