Changing the colour of external walls, back and front

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
We are renovating a 1960 house.
It currently has red (tired) tiles on the front.
We will repaint all the external tiles but we were thinking to go from red to a contemporary black.
Do you know if this is possible? this is not a conservation area. There are four similar houses on a that row - the rest of the street is made of period properties.
As always many thanks!
:)

Sponsored Links
Assuming, as you suggest, that there are no planning / restrictions on your property then you are allowed to paint your tiles.

However, in my experience painting tiles in this way can often look dreadful unless you go the full length to stripping all of the tiles off the walls and giving them several coats (including on the tile edges!) before re-hanging them.

Otherwise, you often see the old colour coming through between the gaps and it will look nasty. Several coats also helps ensure you get a nice solid colour - particularly necessary where the tiles are porous or textured where paint may get soaked into the tile or not get all the crevaces etc.

Thanks a lot for the advice very useful.

We do not need planning permission indeed! thank you

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I changed my tiles at my old place. First painted them with gloss which looked great for a while but then gradually began to peel. I then went for a chocolate colour and used masonry paint. I also painted the mortar in between the tiles. Originally in a sandstone to match the pointing but when the tiles went brown I used a dark charcoal. I had several comments about how tasteful this was and now I have moved and the people here had painted the tiles red without regard to the mortar and it just looks poor! I think they must have used brick red which sounds okay but without the mortar showing in a different colour you just think - badly painted tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back