Changing window hinge position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently moved into a house with UPVC windows. Most of the windows are hinged at the top. It would be much more convenient if some of those could be changed to have hinges along the sides.
I am wondering how much of a pain that job could be. Are there a whole range of hinge standards from the different sources of windows or is it likely that I can easily buy the appropriate hinges on line? The windows were installed in the late 90's.
I would appreciate some advice about this.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
95% sure without even looking that its not doable.
You would likely need new locking mechs fitted and would be left with holes where the old handles were.
If the top hung sash's are over 700mm wide side hung hinges probably couldn't take the weight.
If there are any problems you most likely wont be able to get spare bits of window frame/sash etc.

So 95% chance not possible and 80% chance if it is possible it will cost more to get someone to do it than to replace the windows.
Feel free to post a pic just encase they are small easy ones but new windows are most likely the way to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back