Chased in and surface mounted cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm refitting my kitchen. I intend to use the existing sockets with new fronts.

Now that I have ripped the old kitchen out I have discovered that a large portion of the existing wiring is a surface mounted extension to the ring main from a socket. (Basically the previous sparkie had pulled enough cable up from a disused skirting board height socket to fit two 30 amp junction boxes, and had extended the ring main from these.)

This feeds some sockets located within cuboards to power fridges, washers etc.

It also feeds two sockets located above the work top. In theses cases the top foot or so of cable is chased into the wall in a bit of conduit.

It all works fine and has done for the twelve years I've been here - but it seems a bit of a bodge. That said, the walls below the worktop (previously hidden behind the old units and shortly to be hidden behind the new units) are all still tiled. Having tried to knock a few off I can see why they were left.

My question (at last). Is this a legitimate way of installing cabling?

Second question: I also discovered (behind the old wallpaper) that there had been an electric cooker point. The cabling still runs to it and a socket below it on the same cable is live. The disused cooker point has simply been gobbed up with plaster. I have no need for it - and am not keen on having random live cabling lurking in the walls ready for next time I hang a picture. What is the correct way of terminating a disused live cable? I'm inclined to chop the cable under the floor, stick a labelled junction box on the end, and remove the fuse at the unit. (My guess is that if I chop out the plaster in the old cooker point I'll find the cable ends either wrapped in electrical tape or stuffed into a chocolate block.)

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the cooker cable in the CU if you are that worried about it.

Aslong as the cables where clipped, and the JB's accessible, there is no problem with the way it was wired - very common with kitchen replacements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back