Cheap Cordless drill

Well technically he's right, it's not a hammer drill. It's a percussion drill.

same thing really percussion means hit :D :D

Still, there's a world of difference between a combi and a real hammer drill. :)

aaahhh i see what's happening here we have different "ideas" or "perceptions" in our heads correct me if i am wrong ;)

to me hammer action is a term that applies to all drills with percussion being a new word for it

to you hammer perhaps is connected with perhaps sds or maybe even a kango/jack hammer

in the same way that i cut a trench with a router and to someone else its a jcb :D :D

Sponsored Links
Look up the actual mechanism of the drills at some point and you'll see where I'm coming from.

A combi drill 'hammer' action is basically a load of spring loaded ball bearings, whereas a true hammer drill actually has a hammer inside it (similar mechanism to an impact wrench, iirc).

Thanks for everyones help.
I got the Ryobi one in the end. Just need to find a case for it now. :)

Seems very good build and more powerful than my old one, althouh that one was a cheap one.

Thanks again.
Ads

Sponsored Links
Also remember that voltage isn't everything, especially on cheaper tools.
Power and battery capacity is the product of the voltage and the ampage of the battery.
for example 14.4v x 3.2ah= 46.8wh
whereas 18v x 2.4 ah=43.2wh

Therefore the 14.4 volt battery would have greater capacity

Doesnt a higher voltage give greater torque though?
Or did I just get salesmaned?

depends on the gearing what manufacturers tend to do is to reduce the rpm on smaller tools via the gearing to improve the torque

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back