Checking immersion thermostats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I recently had to replace the whole heating element in my boiler due to a faulty thermostat (it would operate only if the reset switch was pressed and that for a limit time).
As I was going through the junk in the loft (I rent the place), I noticed a collection of old, badly deteriorating heating elements with their immersion thermostats still in place.
Is there a way to check if the thermostats are operational without installing them. For example, can I check them with a multimeter and if yes what kind of readings should I get ?

Thanks,
George

Sponsored Links
You need to check the resistance when cold which should be less than 0.5 ohms and then warm them up to the switching temp of 55 *C and see if they switch off.

Ideally you need to measure the switch off time with a storage oscilloscope.

Tony

I recently had to replace the whole heating element in my boiler due to a faulty thermostat
You don't have to replace the whole heating element just to replace the thermostat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back