chem vac soot remover stick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has any used used a chem vac soot remover stick to clean an oil boiler and are they any good. Now and again on a service call i came across the old ferroli oil boilers and if anyone is familiar with them they can be an nightmare to clean as they do not have any baffles, they have cast iron sections to restrict the flue pass and when you come across a sooted up one you could spend all day cleaning it, so as a easy solution i found out about theses sticks you just chuck into the combustion chamber and fire the boiler and it cleans the boiler. Has anyone tryed them?

Sponsored Links
Guy I work with use's them alot reckon's they are good , use's the Expel C type , I think some of the new condensing oil boiler's have plastic part's on flue's ??? the dreaded Worcestor I think , would not use it on them ????

Back in the 1970's Essex County Council went through a phase of asking us contractors to use these on large oil fired boilers in Schools etc I remember they were made by a company called Economix, they came in sticks, or for larger boilers big tubs, after warming the boiler, U simply threw the chemical into the combustion chamber and fired the boiler up, this was quite scarry as the boiler would bang & thump, blow thick white clouds of smoke from every oriface for about 10 minutes ! however when everything settled down again, the interior of the boiler was lined with a white coating, which over several weeks did seem to remove stubborn sulphur and carbon deposits, so I suppose they do work, but they won't instantly clean a sooted boiler, so I don't think U will be able to chuck away your flue brushes! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back