Oil boiler is filling with soot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PLEASE can somebody help, we live out in the sticks and have recently re-installed a Camray 5 oil boiler. The boiler worked fine for 1 day and then just locked out. We opened it up and cleaned out nearly 1/2 bin liner full of soot. The boiler then worked fine again for 1 day and its now packed up again. What can be causing all this build up of soot, has anyone any ideas???? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Has the boiler been commissioned correctly? This would ensure that the burner is running at the correct settings as per the manufacturer. It sounds like the air setting could be too low and therefore is running to rich and creating the soot.

Hi
Im not sure, it was a plumber that reinstalled the boiler, and as i say it did work at first, do you know how we would increase the air setting and would this fault create this much soot.
Thank you

You need to get an oil boiler engineer in to set the thing up properly. Not a 'plumber' bur someone who has the necessary equipment, and expertise, to set the boiler combustion correctly.

Sorry to be blunt but I can assure you there is a little more to it than just meddling with the air settings. I know I repair these things each and every day!

Air setting, pump pressure, is nozzle correct size and type and not defective, inadequate ventillation, defective or incorrect flue - these are just a few of the things that can cause a boiler to soot up.

You need someone that knows what they are doing NOT carryout a load of medling which will only end up costing more time to correct and so more money.

Also think about the money you are wasting with a boiler that is running in anything but an inefficient state. Oil costs enough, you really want yo be burning the least amount possible and getting the maximum amount of heat from each litre of the stuff.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a copy of the installation/commissioning/servicing instructions? In here you would find the air settings required depending on the output of your boiler. It sounds as if the oil pressure, air setting and CO2 levels need to be checked with an analyser (commissioning).
I would have thought the installer would have done this at the time.
I assume it is a Riello burner and the air setting is a slider (facing the side of the boiler) on the fan case on the r/h side as you look at it.

It is unlikely that it is just the air shutter!!

As Alan E has told you !

Get a competent oil tech to checkit out !!

There's no way anyone on this forum can set up your boiler remotely, or would want to do so anyway. Beg some competent oil engineer to spend an hour commissioning it correctly asap. It will be £50 well spent, especially if the boiler is within your home, as I guess it is. You'll just have to put up with his moans about incompetent builders.

I would charge a bit more than 50 to get covered in soot after someone messed around with it

I see this so often plumbers or diyers just change oil boiler/burner and think it will just work..

get it commissiond by an engineer,look at OFTEC site and you will get an oilman close to you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back