Oil tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just moved into a new house and have inherited a boiler (oil, 3yrs old).

It stopped working about a week after moving in. The engineer opened it up and showed us how dirty it was with, what looked like soot. He gave it a good clean and all was well. Two weeks later, it stopped again, he came back, all sooted up again.

He says it must be the oil tank, and it needs a good clean out. It would make more sense to have a new tank installed.

1. Does it sound like it is the tank?
2. Is there anything else we should try first?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would consider taking an oil sample out of the tank first - just to examine what comes out of the pipe line.......and also checking for water as well as free delivery of the fuel.
John :)

Air setting could be too low and therefore is running to rich and creating the soot.
May be the inlet stuffed up with cats or dogs hairs?

You have air setting, pump pressure, is nozzle correct size and type and not defective, inadequate ventillation, defective or incorrect flue - these are just a few of the things that can cause an oil boiler to soot up.

Didn't your engineer check these parameters?

Sponsored Links
I'm not entirely sure what he checked but I will get in touch with him and ask.

Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back