Chemical fixings. - which type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I will be fixing retaing (bat) straps in the loft as recommended by a structual engineer when I bought the house to add extra bracing to the gable wall and wooden roof truss.

However, I was unsure what fixing to use in the airated block. I did not want to use normal plugs incase this cracks the block or pulls out.

Would Chemical fixings be better for the job? and how many fixings should I use per strap?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I honestly don't know how the world held together before chemical fixings were invented.

Architects and structural engineers can't get enough of 'em.

Ho hum.

I honestly don't know how the world held together before chemical fixings were invented.

Architects and structural engineers can't get enough of 'em.

Ho hum.

In some cases chemical fixings are needed to cope with the new building materials that have also just be invented. When fixing some things into cheese blocks (sorry, aircrete), you need chemicals that can get a good hold in cheese.
Simon.

In some cases chemical fixings are needed to cope with the new building materials that have also just be invented. When fixing some things into cheese blocks (sorry, aircrete), you need chemicals that can get a good hold in cheese.
Simon.
There are few domestic load situations that require anything more than plug and screw or at best sleeve anchors. So what you are saying is anything previously fixed to aerated blocks that is not chemically anchored is gonna come crashing down - yes/no?

Sponsored Links
My issue is that these straps are normally hooked over the brick when the wall is built.
Obviously i cannot do this and so want a good fixing into the airrated block. Any help appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back