Cherry Pickers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Long time since I posted on here. Its good to be back.

Does anybody know whether you are allowed to get out of a cherry picker, onto a roof for instance.
The building we are working on has fixed ladders up to the roof but we aren't allowed to use these as they could be unsafe.
The client seems to think that if I take the cherry picker cradle up onto the roof level it is ok for me to unclip and get out onto the roof.
i've obviously got the cherry picker license but for the life of me I can't remember whether this was mentioned during the training.

if anyone's any the wiser, please let me know.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
I completed my Nebosh exams a few years back and it was always taught that it was a Mobile elevating work platform so you should stay on board. If you were to step off then this would need a specific risk assessment completed.

Have a look at this link for more info
http://www.hse.gov.uk/falls/mewps.htm

Pete

Thanks Pete

I've just looked at the universal mewp guide handbook. It says you should never exit the cage unless there is no other safe way of doing the job. your right, risk assessment and method statement will need to be done for this specific task.

Thanks

FFS. :rolleyes:
Just climb over the side. What's the big deal?

Do you muppets ever get anything done? Apart from filling out paperwork? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
recently redone my ticket on these,er as you are meant to have a harness on and connected how are you meant to be able to exit the cage.

now if i was doing this job for my self who knows i may well be tempted,but if i was doing this for my firm NO BLOODY WAY.anything happens and your on your own,no firm will stand up in court and say,yep we told him to do that.

if it requires a scaffold then so be it.

How would the harness stop you exiting the cage? If you think it will then you should stay on the ground.

Excuses excuses. Like I said how do you ever get anything done?

All you have to do is lift the platform level with the roof and step out ffs.

You shouldn't even be wearing the harness in the first place unless a planned procedure (with trained personnel) for rescue is organised on site and can act immediately.

How would the harness stop you exiting the cage? If you think it will then you should stay on the ground.

Excuses excuses. Like I said how do you ever get anything done?

All you have to do is lift the platform level with the roof and step out ffs.

because the thing is clipped to the platform,
now you sound like a guvnor,hope nothing ever bad happens to your workforce because youve told them to do something that doesnt comply,because your arse will be in a sling.

It should have a 2m lanyard. That lets you safely unto any roof.

So you've been wearing safety harnesses and don't know what rescue plan is in place? Silly boy.

Not if your exiting unto a roof. Try using a bit of common sense.

If your not so nimble up on a roof then you should stay on the ground.

Sponsored Links
Back