chIcken seasoning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to do (cook) a chicken tomorrow, had a mooch round the cupboards and found some seasoning, expiry date, 2001, it's a sealed satchet, so should be fine?

It's being used anyway. What's in your cupboard, or what's the oldest food youv'e used. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Providing it's dry & undamaged and smells OK, it'll be fine.

A couple of years back, the oldest thing I found in my sister's cupboard was a paxo stuffing mix dated JAN 86.

Tasted ok, though!

the trouble with herbs and spices they loose there potency with age and a different rates so what tasted fantastic when fresh will taste completly diferent every 6 months

and the oldest was a 1960s tinned pie my mother had kept through 2 house moves from edinburgh to surrey in 70s and back to edinburgh in mid 80s

i cooked it when she died early this millenium whilst clearing the cupboards
it looked fine smelt fine but didnt have the bottle to eat it as it was steam to cook where you just peirce the lid before cooking so wasnt so appetising in appearence :rolleyes:

Theres a tin of ralgex (old name for deep heat?) in our bathroom cupboard, use by march 1996. Someone is still using it :eek:

One of my staff found a can of pineapple chunks at work today, at the back of a shelf, dated dec 06. :eek: I know is nothing compared to other people above, but remember we do date checks every 6 weeks and its been missed for nearly 2 years. :eek:

Shhhh dont tell TS.

Sponsored Links
the trouble with herbs and spices they loose there potency with age and a different rates so what tasted fantastic when fresh will taste completly diferent every 6 months

and the oldest was a 1960s tinned pie my mother had kept through 2 house moves from edinburgh to surrey in 70s and back to edinburgh in mid 80s

i cooked it when she died early this millenium whilst clearing the cupboards
it looked fine smelt fine but didnt have the bottle to eat it as it was steam to cook where you just peirce the lid before cooking so wasnt so appetising in appearence :rolleyes:

She was keeping that for a special occasion-perhaps not quite the special occasion she had in mind though...

It's nowhere near those dates, but earlier this year I ate some meat that was a week out of date and had been open for just over a week.

It didn't look too bad in the packet, but when it hit the pan it turned a rather unappetising grey.

Thinking to myself "Didn't I hear somewhere that curry was invented just to hide the taste of rancid meat? I'll add some spices. Plus it's bacon. Wasn't bacon invented to preserve meat?" I went ahead and carried on cooking.

I thought that just so long as I cooked it long and hard enough, I'd kill off whatever bugs existed and I'd be fine. :!:

I was so very, very, very wrong.

2 days later I finally left the bathroom. :eek:

To save money (I'm half Scot & live in Yorkshire :LOL: ) we frequently buy reduced items, with no ill effect.

Its always interesting that people don't like it when their food has mould or fungus. The best stilton need a type of mould for its taste and as for fungus, what's a mushroom ? ....

The oldest stuff I regularly use as & when needed is the bulk purchase things I put aside during the last major fuel strike. Dried veg, soup, bread & flour mix, tinned spam / corned beef - all no problem.

Still, my other half has always said that the line in Rambo of "he can eat things which'd make a billy goat puke" could have been written for me as I have a rather strong constitution ....... so long as I stay away from milk chocolate :LOL: :LOL: [/i]

Sponsored Links
Back