chimney breast area ok for steel insertion ?

G

george765

I plan to remove my chimney breast from ground to loft where it will be suitably supported (structural engineer consulted).
The wall in question is a party wall (I have agreement in place) and is a solid 8-9" brick wall.
I need to make an opening for a staircase and support the upper floor joists on rsj's.
My question is about what is left at the wall area's where the breast has been removed, is it the same thickness as the rest of the wall ? I would like to insert an rsj for support in this area, but is the wall full thickness ? i.e. enough to support the rsj ? the neighbours chimney breast is the other side and of course I can't afford to break through.
I hope I have explained my question ok. I don't want to waste time drawing plans that can't work.
thanks in advance if someone can advise.
cheers, George

Sponsored Links
Beams should not bear into chimneys. The party wall between two chimneys is arguably part of the chimney. In any case beams should not be close to flues

Your engineer, Party Wall Surveyor and the BCO may have to agree where the beam can sit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back