Supporting a chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930's single brick built semi. The chimney breast is tied into the wall. As far as I understand, if you want to remove a breast inside the house the stack can be supported in the loft by a steel bra arrangement or an RSJ.

The outside wall is brick but the internal wall, which would support the other end of the rsj is the old cinder block.

What are the pros and cons of the two methods?

BTW, I am not planning to do this work myself.

Sponsored Links
I'm not a builder but ...

I've seen chimney stacks held up with big gallows brackets from beneath, so no RSJ. Cinder blocks may look soft, but the ones at the bottom of your walls are supporting the ones at the tops of your walls so will quite happily take the extra compression of the stack.

For a definitive reply don't ask a builder, ask a structural engineer. Casual chat, free, certified reply, perhaps £100 - £150, but the casual chat could also ask for a fee quote.

There are a number of factors that determine how and if a c/breast can be removed. Read up on your council's Regs and talk to a BCO.

Research up on here using the search facility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back