Chimney breast build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So...I've removed the old fireplace cladding and am left with an odd shaped chimney. There is a heat exchanger in the fireplace I think which I've not removed yet ( the pipes are cut at the ceiling so its not functional).

Were looking to get an inset stove put in (by a qualified HETAS engineer) with some sort of stone or granite surround. Essentially i need to prep it for the installation and the chimney breast needs squaring off. Is this simply a case of breeze blocking a rectangular symmetrical wall either side? Can I tie it to the chimney stack? Can I put plasterboard over it? Do I have to use special materials or does it not matter once I've allowed for the clearances around the opening (typical sizes seem to 400mm above and 150ish either side - depending on the manufacturer)

Thanks for your help.

Before:

After:

Sponsored Links
Remove all remains of the previous appliance, including the copper pipes. Smash out the fire back.

1. sweep and smoke test the flue.

2. check or have examined the chimney stack and flaunching, flashing, and what kind of terminal is present.

3. you must have the Mfr's instructions for the inset appliance - and make your opening in accordance with the Mfr's dimensions.
The thing is, that the flue will begin to slant over to the right soon after the lintel.

4. If you have to raise the existing lintel then come back here.

5. Brick or block up from the c/breast shoulders - going back against bare brick not the plaster. Go up as high as the ceiling.

6. It would help if you have an idea for the new stone surround.

Thanks for the prompt response.
A few more questions:
  • The hole is currently lined with a cast iron fitting. Is this the fireback or is some clay lining lining behind this?
  • Smashing the fireback out will leave me with a rectangular brick lined hole, is that right?
  • The copper pipes at the top seem to go through the stack - I can't tell if they just go through the inch or so of mortar that's rendered on or if they go through the actual brick. To save breaking any of it up, I assume I can just hack them off at the wall and leave a short section embedded?
  • Putting up blocks to square the chimney shoulders: I can tie them to the brick wall, should I (how) tie them to the stack too? I'm guessing I can't stick plastic rawl plugs into the stack bricks.
  • I'm guessing your steps also need doing in that order? i.e. I can't install the blockwork until I've established that the hole is the right size and confirmed that the lintel doesn't need moving.
Thanks again for your help.

Knock out whatever is there until you have a square brick fireplace.

Dont attempt to remove the pipes from inside the c/breast or ceiling - simply cut the exposed pipework off.

Dont fret building up with masonry - the mortar will bond you safely into the existing brickwork.

But dont build up until you have marked out the inset required dimensions, and posted a pic of them on here.

Sponsored Links
Im havIng trouble removing the caat iron insert that lines the fireplace. I assume its held in with mortar att the way round. Ive whacked it with a hammer but it wont budge. Crowbared round the sides and no luck.

Any suggestions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back