Chimney breast insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,
Made an interesting discovery tonight in the House of Pain- behind some shoddy plaster and a completely FUBAR 60's fireplace

, lovingly made by HC
it says

there's actually some quite nice brickwork and a properly formed arch acting as a lintel for the fireplace opening.

So, I'm now contemplating losing the rest of the plaster from the chimney breast (which is about to fall off anyway), removing all the infill and restoring the nice big fireplace, leaving the chimney breast bare brick. Ultimately there'll be a woodburner in there as well.

Fly in the ointment might be Part L- does a chimney breast count as an outside wall and (if so) what insulation can I put on it that won't cook off when the woodburner goes in? The room is about 4500 x 5000 so I can't get away with the 5% floor space wheeze.

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Excellent-ta. Was thinking early this morning that it would make no sense insulating the heat from the flue out of the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back