Chimney Breast Removal - Open Fires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a niche question -
A property developer brought adjoining property (a semi-detached house). 1940's and chimney breast running up the lounge and dining room, through bedrooms and attics in each. Fires in both the lounge and dining room.
The developer took out the chimney breast in both bedrooms to maximise space as no fires in either bedroom.
However, have noticed he's finishing work - decorators in etc - and has left open fires in both lounge and dining room. They're the original fires.
I spoke with decorators re: when new buyer lights fires where does smoke etc go? They had no idea.
I did pop over when some of the work was ongoing - many months ago - and noticed in upstairs they'd 'accidentally' knocked through the party / back wall i.e. behind their original chimney breast. I was told this would be filled in.
I'm no builder/expert and just wanted to check if it is possible they might have re-routed into our chimney space for smoke/fire exit?
My question: is this allowed as no party wall notification was served or agreement made? Is there any way of checking on this? I'm confused as to how they can still have open fires (are original and the previous neighbour did used to light them) if they've taken out the bedroom chimney breasts in both bedrooms on their side?
I'm not sure if this is an issue or not. As the property developer is never there I have no contact to ask and don't want to find an issue when it's sold and the new neighbour decides to light their fire etc.
Grateful for any thoughts on how to check or proceed - if necessary. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm no builder/expert and just wanted to check if it is possible they might have re-routed into our chimney space for smoke/fire exit?
My question: is this allowed as no party wall notification was served or agreement made? Is there any way of checking on this? I'm confused as to how they can still have open fires (are original and the previous neighbour did used to light them) if they've taken out the bedroom chimney breasts in both bedrooms on their side?
I'm not sure if this is an issue or not. As the property developer is never there I have no contact to ask and don't want to find an issue when it's sold and the new neighbour decides to light their fire etc.

No, they cannot reroute their chimney into yours, not can they knock through the party wall to do that. If any of the lower parts of a chimney are removed, building control need to be involved, and proper arrangements put in place, to support the remains of the stack above - that assumes their chimney is not adjacent to yours. I think a party wall agreement would also be needed, if their chimney backed onto your own.

You need to be nosey, and find out exactly what has in fact been done next door,

Probably just left in as "decorative features"/to be fitted with focal point electric fires.
What about the chimney breast that was apparently removed from both bedrooms though?

Sponsored Links
A number of companies offer chimney camera surveys. For my own piece of mind I think I would get one done. The results will determine what happens next. The absence of a PWA could well work in your favour. With one, you would have to prove the developer caused any damage, without one they have to prove they didn't. But all will literally be revealed by a survey.

If there is a breach in the dividing wall it is a huge danger to them, not so much for you. If you use the chimneys, and they haven't got them, any breach risks flue gases going next door.

If you have a shared chimney and they have removed the breasts in the bedroom, have they had the chimney adequately supported? Ask your local building control if you have any questions. If the house is a refurb you would expect that the works will be signed off ready for sale.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back