Chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i moved into a 1930’s house which had the chimney breast removed. Where it stand there is a cement bit with the shape of the old chimney breast which you can tell use to have small tiles on it.
My question is before we decide to tile it or cover it somehow what is under the cement patch? One of the options is to get rid of the patch and cover it with the same type of wooden planks as the rest of the house but before I start digging I would like to know what is beneath.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I think you're taking about the chimney hearth..

You can dig it put in new joists and floorboards / Ply in the space the cement took up. several hundred kg of rubble to get rid of, and take the bottom of the chimney breast down a couple of brick courses to get new joists in.

I've taken them out of my house, it's hard work, you need a breaker. A chunky SDS hammer drill will do it but take longer.

Nothing below my hearths, supported by the joists and wood put in at an angle - hard to explain, something like this I\=======/I

trimming_plusnextdoor3.jpg

Thanks, interesting. I think the easiest solution will be to put tiles rather than starting digging out rubble...
Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back