Chimney breasts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are a 2 chimney breasts in my 3 bed semi house which are redundant, both of them have had parts removed already. The one in my lounge has had the top half that passed through the bedroom above removed and I was just going to remove the the bottom half but after watching ''homes under the hammer'' the guy on there said that chimneys breasts can be structural. The second chimney that used to pass through the kitchen, the bottom half has been removed and the rest remains up and above the roof. Does anyone know of any pitfalls, apart from the mess, in removing chimney breasts because I thought it was straight forward until I heard that comment on tv

Sponsored Links
a chimney breast, if partially removed, requires the uppermost section supporting should you remove any part of it below. do you know if the chimney is adequately supported? is it located at the party wall?

Bryan
Are the chimney stacks still present above the roof line?
If they are then you have answered your own post as something has to hold that brickwork up.
A word of caution.
Not so long ago had a look at a job on semi-detached house where they were taking out the 1st floor chimney breasts and were going to support the remaining on gallows brackets, however what nobody had taken into account was the fact that the next door neighbour (shared stack) had already removed their breasts on the 1st floor.
Imagine how top heavy the remaining stack would be!

The chimney breast in the lounge is on the party wall and is supported above the bedroom that is above the lounge. The other small chimney is not on the party wall and is supported above the kitchen ceiling. My main concern is the lounge breast the other small chimney is only 340mm x 360mm and from what I can make out is not keyed into the ajoining walls.

Sponsored Links
Good point Marksson :D lounge should be ok then as the part that used to run through the bedroom above has already gone so as you have pointed out it is already supported, is there anything else to look out for.

bryan,
im planning on doing the same job in my house in the next couple of weeks, perhaps we should let each other know of the progress were making incase either of our houses collapse :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back