Chimney falling down - Party wall act?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Advice please:

I own a three storey Edwardian property, however, the property next door is only a two storey. Due to the way it was constructed, the next door chimney runs up the side of my property, from 2nd floor, to 3rd floor, and above the ridge of my roof. The chimney is for his sole use as our fire place (and chimey) is at the other end of the property

However, the neighbour chimney is starting to lean, and is pulling the lead work from my roof, and water is pouring into the top floor. The wall, and ceiling are full of damp.

I called the local council, who came and stated that although it is his chimey, it comes under the party wall act, and that I have to pay atleast half for the repairs. The neighbour is not interested at all, and has no insurance - so Im stuck.

The work needs to be done as the rooms on the 3rd floor cannot be used currently.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
However owns the neighbours property is bound by law under the "Party Wall Act" to pay half the cost of repairs, I would suggest your first step would be to get advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back