Chimney flashing repair advice wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need the flashing repaired to chimney. Currently have builder in doing other jobs who has quoted for this, but we are unhappy about the fact that he proposes doing this work from ladders only (including roof ladder). The house is Victorian and has high ceilings so although two storey is pretty tall.

Am I being overcautious in being reluctant to accept his quote? Things are further complicated by the fact that we own only a flat in the property and are hoping the other two freeholders will share the cost. Obviously to encourage them to do this the lower the cost the better. We own the upstairs flat so we , at present, are the only ones affected by the leaking chimney flashing which is letting in damp to the chimney breast.

Sponsored Links
If you spend 6-8 hundred quid on scaffold I'm sure he'll use it.

Your neighbours may be obliged to contribute if you all own equal shares of the freehold so it may be worth checking. On the other hand if your a leaseholder then the person(s) who own the freehold is usually responsible for any work to the shell of the building.

Whilst someone is up there repairing the chimney flashing it would be a VERY good idea to get the chimney coated with a waterproofing solution especially if the chimney is not used. 9 times out of 10 it isn't the flashing that is the issue but porous brickwork.

Sponsored Links
Whilst someone is up there repairing the chimney flashing it would be a VERY good idea to get the chimney coated with a waterproofing solution especially if the chimney is not used. 9 times out of 10 it isn't the flashing that is the issue but porous brickwork.
I`ll second that - exact problem here @ home - thought I`d have to renew the flashing ( myself ;) ) but used the water seal as a "temporary" fix - and it`s a permanent cure ;)

Thanks for that! We have now approached the other freeholders so awaiting results. Seems too it may be possible to work from a chimney scaffold at the pine end of the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back