Safe practice for chimney repairs and only half a chimney repaired

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hello. I have a query about determining who is correct in this situation, as I am uncertain.

I received a quotation for various roof repairs, which encompassed re-doing the lead soakers on the chimney (the flashing beneath the slates). The chimney extends across the apex of the roof, with one half on the front slope and the other half on the rear slope.

The work has been completed, but only half of the chimney has been redone on the side with scaffolding to the front. When I raised this concern, the roofer explained that his quote was specifically for erecting scaffolding to the front and repairing the front part of the chimney (among other tasks). He mentioned that if I wanted the rear slope of the chimney repaired, scaffolding on that side would be necessary for safety, as it involves going over the apex, and there is no barrier to prevent a fall if one were to slip.

While I understand his safety concerns, upon reviewing the quote, it merely states "new soakers and flashing to the chimney," without specifying a particular side. I assumed that the roofer would ascend the scaffolding on the front and then proceed to work on the rear part, possibly utilizing a harness for added safety. The leak came in on the chimney breast so it seems odd not to renew all the soakers/flashing on the chimney.

Do you think it's unreasonable to expect him to repair the entire chimney with scaffolding on only one side of the roof, not both? Or is that dangerous? I haven't paid him yet.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your roofer is at it. I would say the wording implies the whole stack as opposed to a specific area. The scaffold is his concern, hold him to his quote or don't pay him for half a job.

"To main roof chimney stack, renew lead soakers"

That sounds like a full job doesn't it? Or, as the quote only mentions scaffolding to the front and not rear am I being unreasonable as it is a very high roof???

Sponsored Links
Main roof chimney stack!
Not front or rear elevation only.
He probably intended doing the whole stack but realised he would need a scaffold at the other elevation.
I would stand my ground.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back