Chimney flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
am having problems with fumes from my oil aga, I believe that there is no flue pipe to the cowl( fitted several years ago!)and there is no acess point on the cast iron pipe from the Aga, it has been run into an old chimney and sealed with a steel plate so there is no access from the bottom hence, I am told that the previous owners had to take out the the external stonework 2/3 up the chimney to gain access to clear a birds nest

Whilst until now it has been probelm free for 10 years, to solve this now and for easy future service can I change the flue to come out of the side of the chimney wall rather the top -there are no windows above or can you suggest another solution

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
A flue works by air passing over the chinmey cowl and drawing the gasses up. It's not just a case of making an opening and assuming the gasses will get out - they wont, and could easily be blown back down.

If the flue was previously working OK, then it is likely that there may be a blockage of some sort, and this should be investigated.

An alternative for getting better draw, would be to change the cowl.

You can certainly form an access point in the side, but this will need to be closed for the flue to work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back