chimney fubar revealed...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just started on my mate's bathroom while he and highly strung Mrs are on hols. I repaired some rotting fascia on the back of the house last month which was presumed to be the cause of the damp patch of ceiling in the corner of the bathroom.
Today I took down the old poly cove and that bit of blown ceiling and wall plaster to find a suspect piece of ply - still a bit damp. Removing this I saw two joists - no hold on they're bricks!
Instead of capping the chimney pot the previous owners have removed the flue all the way down to the ground leaving the remaining 15-20 courses balanced on the party wall (have checked the neighbour's flue and it's intact all the way down). All they did to stop water getting in was to stuff a couple of plaster bags up the flue before wedging in the piece of ply. A classic bodge.
Luckily it's a scullery chimney so the dangling corner is only one brick across but what should I do? There's no sign of any cracks or movement so far.
I understand I can fit a cap to the chimney pot (which seems secure) to keep the water out but how to support this end of the chimney? Can I belt a piece of angle across from the back wall to the party wall and then pack up under the floating corner? I'm not sure gallows brackets will hold in 100 yo brickwork.
Help!

Sponsored Links
Just the bond and the cantilever weight of the other side of the chimney I guess, would pictures help?

Ok have posted a clearer pic now. Trawled about and found another thread debating whether to do anything about this kind of thing at all but not what to do. Should i call in the BCO or is that asking for trouble? The house has numerous weird adjustments from the previous owners.
As I said there are no cracks as yet but as the pot was not capped off water has been running down the inside of the flue and with the past few cold winters, probably frozen in there too. Three corners are obviously supported and as you can see it's only a brick in either direction, being a scullery chimney but dare I leave it as is? :eek:

Sponsored Links
I thought you said it was a mates house? Wait until he sorts it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back