Chimney question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house was built in 1884 and has chimneys in each room. The attic was converted into an extra bedroom and in each corner of the said room are the respective corners of the front and rear chimney stacks which have not been wall-papered over.
Just to the left of one of these visible chimney stacks is a visibly stained (8 inch x 4 inch) patch although it is not damp to the touch. The wall on which this damp patch is the wall that divides mine and my neighbour's house between our respective attics. Two roofers have been onto the roof for recent work and mentioned that it is in good order and that none of the tiles are cracked.
Today I got cowls fitted on each of the four chimneys as some very fine masonry dust had been falling down the chimney into the two hearths since I bought the premises when it rained and hopefully this will not happen any more.
A non-builder pal suggested that the damp patch could have been caused by rain getting into the top of the chimney, dampening any dust/masonry dust still inside the top and then the chimney brickwork has absorbed the damp which has then shown through on the wall. Is this possible or likely?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back