Chimney Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a terraced house built in 1884 and damp is visible and wet to the touch at a point on a brick wall that touches the chimney breast and on a sloping hardboard type diagonal wall that makes up the room in the attic.
The fireplace that serves the chimney has not been used for at least 14 years and the top of the chimney has been capped but still allows air to flow through (can't think of the word for the round thing that now sits on top of the chimney!).
A roofer has been up on the roof and says that all is well with the roof, but brickie mate of mine says that there is a chance that the chimney may never have been built with damp course which allows damp to come down the chimney and into the house and thus needs one inserting. I queried this as the chimney was re-rendered last year and surely rain cannot get through render? Or am I wrong? How much would it costs PER CHIMNEY for a five foot high Victorian chimney to be re-built? I live in the southeast. I hope I have given enough details here.

Sponsored Links
Chimneys often have the plaster containing hygroscopic salts which attracts condensation at quite a low R/H making it damp.
Render can let in the rain which it starts to crack.

Sponsored Links
I was told by the roofer that the lead flashing is secure and the render has not cracked. How much is it for a chimney to be re-built?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back