Chimney rebuild done last year: cement mortar issue?

A 3:1 mix is only suitable for engineering bricks. The mortar will be stronger than the bricks. The bricks will be porous and accept moisture. The mortar will not. Therefore the bricks will fail before the mortar.

This is what I was afraid of and what caused the original post. Sadly, the company that did this is long gone (claimed bankruptcy about 3 years ago); I tried following up with them with no luck. I’ll just have to keep a careful eye on the chimney from here on. (A little bit of me hopes he used a 4:1 mix anyway...). Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
The mortar on the brickwork doesn't look as strong as the flaunching. The bricks look a strong semi-engineering type. The bricky is very unlikely to have followed your 3:1 suggestion. Cost him more in materials to do a worse job. Looks like a 4:1 or 5:1 mix to me. You can get it tested. I'd just keep an eye on it for flouridation and spalling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back