Chimney removal / support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping you guys can advise.

Have been in our bungalow for around 7 years now, when moving in the surveyors pointed out that the chimney had been removed from the living room but no signs of supporting gallows brackets.

We are now thinking of removing the rest of the chimney from the loft (this is on a party wall)

What are the correct procedures? Contact council about planning permission / building regs? Structural surveyor? contact builders?

I am in Rayleigh, essex

Sponsored Links
bump,

I have spoken with rochford council and been told planning permission is not necessary. If leaving the chimney above roof level (has to be as its attached to the neighbours) then I will need to submit a building control application. Apparently only a certain amount of the chimney flue can be removed, maybe 3 quarters.

My question now is, will I need a structural engineer to check before getting builders to carry out the work?

You will need some sort of support, and so unless the builder knows what is required, then a suitable person needs to design something to support the remaining stack.

Also check with the neighbours as you need to know if they still have their breast, and they need to know what you are doing in case they want to do the same in the future

Party Wall Act will apply, but you decide if you want to go down that route

who would a suitable person be? A structural engineer?

Next door still has their full chimney (though not in use) I had a look at the party wall paperwork, looks quite straight forward.

Just need to know the correct procedures to get this flue taken out?

Sponsored Links
Yes a SE normally, or anyone who can do similar work.

Get the support designed, get builder to quote, submit building notice to council (no plans required) and then start work

There should be no problem with the SE's design work so you don't have to wait for the council to approve the design, but you can if you like

If you are going to serve a PW notice, be aware of the potential for extreme costs if the neighbour disputes and engages their own PW surveyor, and serve in good time as you need to wait a while (notice period) before you can start

Hello.

Gallows brackets were permitted once however if you check your local authority help booklets (usually available online) and search their webpage, I think you'll find that gallows brackets are not permitted now and that a metal beam is required.

There might be no sign of gallows brackets because there might be a beam above the ceiling. The beam might be timber so if you've looked in the loft it might have appeared to be a joist.

Instruct a structural engineer to inspect and advice. Contact your Building Regulations team at the local authority to ask what they need for this to be done. Contact a solicitor about the Party Wall agreement (or possibly a Chartered Building Surveyor).

If you do not remove the chimney, it will need a support. Ask the structural engineer about how to remove it and what to do if you are going to keep it. An unsupported chimney is plain dangerous.

many thanks for your advise guys. I have a structural engineer popping round on monday. I will let you know how I get on.

Im hoping the party wall will not be a problem. We have mentioned it to the neighbor before and they didnt seem to have a issue with removing/supporting the chimney (as we mentioned that we are not sure if the previous owner has supported it correctly).

Ok, structural engineer come round yesterday. Very knowledgable guy. Said I could fit brackets if I really wanted but don't feel that they are necessary. Its been like that for 10years and theres no sign of any movement. Its self sustainable. he will send out some paperwork

Hello.

Gallows brackets were permitted once however if you check your local authority help booklets (usually available online) and search their webpage, I think you'll find that gallows brackets are not permitted now and that a metal beam is required.

There might be no sign of gallows brackets because there might be a beam above the ceiling. The beam might be timber so if you've looked in the loft it might have appeared to be a joist.

Instruct a structural engineer to inspect and advice. Contact your Building Regulations team at the local authority to ask what they need for this to be done. Contact a solicitor about the Party Wall agreement (or possibly a Chartered Building Surveyor).

If you do not remove the chimney, it will need a support. Ask the structural engineer about how to remove it and what to do if you are going to keep it. An unsupported chimney is plain dangerous.

gallows brackets are still allowed... but must be of the design...i.e. designed by a structural engineer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back